Monday, June 21, 2010

Pink Slip

Well, damn. Got called into the Sergeant Major's office this afternoon along with SGT Graywarz and we were both given the boot. Politely, of course. A combination of things: the Boss' full time PSO is here and has been for a couple of months, so they really don't need me. They have a couple of fillers from another unit who can do the driving, and our unit wants us back. We will be leaving Iraq in about six weeks or so, and I guess we are needed back to help with the preparations for pulling out.

Sergeant Major was very nice about it all. We have done a good job, sorry to see us go, thanks for the hard work, all of that.

Still, a bitter pill.

I was so pissed I actually threw my hat on the ground afterwards, which is a somewhat childish thing to do and failed to make me feel better.

So I guess it's back to our little camp, where I will probably be stringing concertina wire and filling sandbags, or some equally vital grunt work such as supervising the loading of conexes, or even worse, riding a desk in the TOC.

I know how lucky I am, believe me. Unlike the rest of my boys, I actually got to do real PSD work for a general officer. I was up and down Irish three and four times a week. I was all over the IZ (aka Green Zone); various and sundry places in the Red Zone; went on helicopter rides, went to cool places, saw cool shit...what I thought was gonna be a ten day gig turned into almost almost four months. So I shouldn't complain.

But still. Damn.

Damn!


Ah well. As my mom would have said, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I'll try and get some Italy pics up a bit later this week. Happy Monday and Happy First Day of Summer, y'all.



9 comments:

bones said...

Stop kicking rocks you had your fun... Can't wait to see the vacay pics ! Stay safe

Connie! said...

Butch up, buttercup. :)

bones said...

Bahahahahaha !!!

Cullen said...

It'll all be for the best.

Daydream Betty said...

Throwing your hat to the ground because you're upset? Nah. Stomping your feet and pouting your lips....now THAT'S childish. And being the world's leading expert on all things childish, trust me, you were well within your adulthood limits. :)

Traci said...

Just checking in on you. Very jealous over your trip to Italy but hey, I'm heading for the Northwest and getting ready to survive a massive thunderstorm. My bro is near Khowst, Afghanistan. I'm glad you're getting ready to come home. Childish? Nah, just frustration. Take care.

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one that got a pink slip this week.

Zelda said...

Did you throw it on the ground and sheepishly pick it back up, chuckling shamefacedly at the futility of the gesture? Not really sure why I'm asking.

Jack said...

@Bones: Thanks, man. But I'll kick those rocks if I want to!

@Connie: Stop using me own words against me!

@Cullen: No, me keeping my awesome PSD job would be for the best. But I get ya.

@DB: I did some pouting, too. Still am.

@Traci: Thanks Nanner. Tell your brother to stay safe.

@Z: Yes, I did, actually.

Echo

Followers